Saturday, December 19, 2009

Orchid Vine, Bauhinia Yunnanensis


This vine is my pride and joy, the orchid vine Bauhinia yunnanensis. After seeing these online it took me forever to track a live one down. I can't remember the site where I purchased it :(

It has neat bi-lobed butterfly shaped leaves on delicate-looking thin vines. I'm scared to plant it in the ground until it gets larger. It will eventually have beautiful pink orchid-like flowers.

I am currently experimenting with propagating it via cuttings. Currently I have snipped off one vine, dipped the end in rooting hormone, and placed in very moist soil. The cutting is drying up a bit so I will probably make some sort of greenhouse for it to keep the humidity high until (if?) it roots. Hopefully I will have some cuttings of this available for trade/sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment