Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Crazy Bromeliad Tree: Update


There's so much going on with this tree right now! It's got a massive 2'+ airplant, and hundreds of smaller tillandsia airplants of about 15 different varieties, several of which were collected locally.

Sometimes when you have good karma, the plant fairy rewards you. I had been wanting bromeliads really bad. I bought a lot on ebay of 5 different fancy bromeliads. Then, my boyfriend was driving down the road and saw literally dozens of bromeliads dumped in a garbage collection pile! Solid green ones with beautiful red/orange/pink flowers, green ones with red spots, green with red splashes, green/gray with zebra stripes, etc. I can't believe someone would just throw them away! Many of them are on this tree and the rest are around the yard. I'm not sure if I am mounting them correctly but they haven't seemed to die yet, I just tied them on with string and hope they root. Many have pups already. What a lucky find.

The zig-zag cactus and the variegated monstera were from a plant sale at Mount's Botanical Garden. The ferns, snake plant, and oyster plants were stolen from the neighbor's yard. In the background you can see the rooster version of the dutchman's pipevine, which the caterpillars seem to love. The tree is a massive umbrella tree. Lots going on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment