Saturday, December 19, 2009

Variegated Pothos


This is one of my favorite plants. You see it commonly in its small form in hanging baskets. But once planted, it vines up trees and buildings and the leaves become huge, providing an awesome jungle look to your yard. Some people dislike it and consider it invasive, but I looove the tropical jungle look it provides.

For a while Jason and I disagreed as to whether the tiny vines and the huge-leafed ones were the same plant. But it is! I have been envying the giant one vining up the side of my neighbor's house, when one day driving we saw a ton of it on the side of the road growing up some trees. We pulled over, and ninja-style, quickly hacked as many cuttings as we could and threw them in the trunk.

We merely stuck the pieces in soil, and all of them rooted. Easy.

I'm trying to grow enough of these to cover my entire chicken coop, which is actually a chain-link dog kennel. I also recently found a great source of these- one of my neighbors is a landscaper and has been dumping all kinds of plants onto a vacant lot, so I sneak out there and snip pieces all the time.

I have a ton of rooted cuttings if you are looking for this plant, I am always open to trades :)

Propagation: Simple. Cut a piece, stick in soil. It will root, no rooting hormone necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment